Skip to main content

Student Spotlight: LaThea Adams


Lathea Adams

 

"The first to submit her work."...."Always ahead of the due date." These are phrases used to describe LaThea Adams, a junior beginning her second semester at Savannah State University as a business management major. While she finished the 2021 fall academic semester with a 4.0 GPA, Adams' journey to success has not been easy.

At 17, on September 8, 2005, it was Lathea’s third day of her senior year of high school. It also marked the day she’d become completely paralyzed due to Transverse Myelitis, a spinal cord disorder. Upon graduating high school, Adams'  attended Hampton University as a marketing major, but after three years, she decided to devote time to her recovery.

As part of her road to recovery, Adams and her family moved to Dacula, Ga. in 2014 to attend Project Walk - Atlanta and the Shepherd Spinal Center, two non-profit spinal injury rehabilitation centers. Seventeen years later, Adams decided to fulfill the commitment she made to herself to earn her degree at an HBCU and chose to be an SSU Tiger.

"LaThea Adams personifies the expression ‘Where there is life, there's hope,’" said Chevanese Samms Brown, Ph.D., associate professor in the College of Business Administration and Adams' nominator.

Adams is also a model with Ursula Wiedmann models

Hometown:

Hampton, VA

Degree Objective:

Business Management

Interesting Fact:

I’m recovering from being paralyzed from an autoimmune attack that affected my spinal cord and left me completely paralyzed at the age of 17. Now I can walk with assistance, but I don’t have functional use of my arms and hands yet. I refuse to let that stop me from pursuing my goals. 

How did you choose to come to Savannah State University (SSU)?

I decided that I wanted to finish my bachelor’s degree at an in-state HBCU and that’s when I researched Savannah State, and it struck my interest.

Why did you choose to be in the Business Management program?

Originally, my major was in marketing, and I had to change it due to personal circumstances. However, I’ve always wanted to do something in the business field.

What career-ready skills have you acquired so far?

Leadership, time-management, and business communication skills to name a few.

What are your career goals?

I want to work in retail management or a retail corporation’s human resource department.

What surprised you about SSU?

Savannah State University’s business school accreditation is one of the highest amongst HBCUs.

What is one of the greatest obstacles you’ve overcome?

I’ve overcome many obstacles. I battled with depression for two years due to my sudden illness. I was able to overcome that over time. I believe time heals most wounds. I give God the credit for healing my mental and emotional health.

What advice would you give to your freshman self?

I would tell my younger self to stay focused and keep the faith. I believe that we all go through setbacks, but it doesn’t mean it’s the end of the world. Whether you finish school in four years or 15 years, it’s still a big accomplishment.

Popular posts from this blog

SSU Homecoming 2023

   Get Ready for the Show!  The 2023 Savannah State University Homecoming celebration is Oct. 21. For more information and to get your spot in the Homecoming Parade visit  https://tinyurl.com/8xuc35u7 For Homecoming football tickets and SSU football season tickets visit https://tinyurl.com/98vfaaue

Alumni Spotlight Wall: 28 Tigers Who Have Made and are Making History

During the month of February, each day, as we celebrate Black history, we will shine a light on Savannah State University's notable alumni who have made and are making history. Wesley McGriff, class of '90 Wesley McGriff, class of 1990, is the co-defensive coordinator/ secondary coach at the University of Louisville. A native of Tifton, Ga., Wesley McGriff, class of 1990, is the co-defensive coordinator/ secondary coach at the University of Louisville. McGriff played at South Carolina State for one year before transferring to Savannah State, where he started at outside linebacker for three seasons and was named the conference’s 1989 Male Academic Athlete of the Year. McGriff has been in the coaching ranks since 1990 when he was hired as a graduate assistant at Savannah State, where he coached for four years. Starting as a graduate assistant, McGriff tutored running backs before coaching the secondary in 1991-92 and then served as defensive coordinator in 1993-94. He was Savanna

SSU Names New Police Chief

Clarella “Meshia” Thomas is the new Chief of Police at Savanah State University. Photo Credit: Jordan Ewing Savannah State University has selected Clarella “Meshia” Thomas as the new campus Chief of Police effective immediately. Thomas brings to SSU a wealth of public safety knowledge and experience that spans 23 years. In appointing Thomas, SSU aims to strengthen its commitment to campus safety and public service to all members of the campus community, including more than 1,900 residential students. Most recently, Thomas served as chief of police and director of public safety at Wellesley College (Mass.) from 2021-2023 and Virginia Union University (Va.) from 2019-2021. Thomas’ public safety career began at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville in 2001 where she rose through the ranks to become patrol services lieutenant. Additionally, she served at the University of Chicago as captain of patrol services from 2013-2016 and at Vanderbilt University as captain of professional standards