Skip to main content

Tiger Spotlight: Belva Franklin

Belva Franklin, c/o '22

Belva Franklin's collegiate journey gives new meaning to the phrase "never give up."  

A non-traditional student originally from Brooklyn, New York, Belva says Savannah State University gave her the opportunity to reach her lifelong goal of attaining a college degree. She graduated with the Spring Class of 2022, earning her Bachelor of Business Administration degree in marketing, but a car accident, a broken leg and a time of serious illness almost kept her from walking across that stage.  

She began her collegiate journey while living in Vidalia, Georgia in the fall of 2012, and working full-time overnight as a Corrections Officer. She commuted 95 miles each way, four to five days a week, some weeks driving up to 950 miles. She would leave two hours prior to the start of her classes, between 6:30 and 7 a.m., not arriving home until 6 p.m. This rigid schedule took a toll on her family and social life, and she learned she could not do it all. 

"Initially, I tried to do it all - work, school, and attend all of my children's functions," she said. "It got to a point where I missed their events. I did not have a social life, but that was something I was willing to forego to reach my goal. I ended up having to choose, and I chose to walk away from my job. I worked as a temp most of the time, either at UPS or Tumi." 

One day in the Spring of 2016, she got into a car accident that totaled her car. After the accident, she was forced to dropout of school and was only able to take online classes. She had to forgo pursuing her mathematics degree. 

In 2018, she had planned to return to school, but ended up breaking her leg, which took an entire year to heal. During this time, she had to quit her job, but continued taking a few sporadic classes. Then, in 2020, she became seriously ill, and says it took a lot out of her. "I was in and out of the emergency room. Some days, I could not muster up enough energy to get off the sofa, but God has kept me," she said.

Though her obstacles were many, they did not keep her from pushing through – and push through she did, off and on for nearly 10 years. She credits her parents, her siblings and her three children for driving and inspiring her to keep moving forward. 

Belva Franklin (center) credits her family for inspiring her to finish her degree.

Belva recovered from her illness and fully returned to SSU in the summer of 2021. Here's what she had to say about her life now, future plans and what being an SSU Tiger means to her.

What are you doing now?

I have two businesses. I am rebranding my first company, which was created in 2019. I do freight dispatching. I started my latest endeavor this semester - a residential roofing and handyman company.

What are your future plans?
My future plans are to return to SSU to get my MBA. My ultimate goal is to start a non-profit to help children in my community.

What does Savannah State University mean to you?
It means opportunity and community. SSU changed my community. Honestly, when I started I only connected with other non-traditional students and a couple of the staff. Most of the student body was my son's age; however, I have met and connected with some great people. These last three semesters, I was in the same classes with the same people, and I formed a connection with several people in my classes. When I decided not to walk for graduation, they were the ones who helped push me to do it.

Are there any faculty and staff members who helped you along your journey?
Dr. West was one of the few professors who knew about my situations. She was understanding. There were days when I was just too exhausted to attend her class. Mr. Stowe was very nice. He was my Professor for FYE. He inspired me to keep going - just hearing his stories about graduating from an HBCU and his pride. Ms. Bradl was always there to answer my questions and to help along the way with making sure I was taking the right classes. Dr. Mullgrav was vital in my decision to continue. She expected so much from her students. She demanded the best of us. I love teachers who expect the best. Other professors who I hold dear are both Dr. Browns' and Dr. Chante Baker-Martin.

What would you say to other Tigers who are just getting started?
If I could give new Tigers any advice, it would be to PUSH and never give up. Trials and tribulations may arise, but keep pushing and don't give up.

Belva Franklin earned her BBA in Marketing.
Keep rising, Belva! 

Popular posts from this blog

SSU Homecoming 2023

   Get Ready for the Show!  The 2023 Savannah State University Homecoming celebration is Oct. 21. For more information and to get your spot in the Homecoming Parade visit  https://tinyurl.com/8xuc35u7 For Homecoming football tickets and SSU football season tickets visit https://tinyurl.com/98vfaaue

Alumni Spotlight Wall: 28 Tigers Who Have Made and are Making History

During the month of February, each day, as we celebrate Black history, we will shine a light on Savannah State University's notable alumni who have made and are making history. Wesley McGriff, class of '90 Wesley McGriff, class of 1990, is the co-defensive coordinator/ secondary coach at the University of Louisville. A native of Tifton, Ga., Wesley McGriff, class of 1990, is the co-defensive coordinator/ secondary coach at the University of Louisville. McGriff played at South Carolina State for one year before transferring to Savannah State, where he started at outside linebacker for three seasons and was named the conference’s 1989 Male Academic Athlete of the Year. McGriff has been in the coaching ranks since 1990 when he was hired as a graduate assistant at Savannah State, where he coached for four years. Starting as a graduate assistant, McGriff tutored running backs before coaching the secondary in 1991-92 and then served as defensive coordinator in 1993-94. He was Savanna

SSU Names New Police Chief

Clarella “Meshia” Thomas is the new Chief of Police at Savanah State University. Photo Credit: Jordan Ewing Savannah State University has selected Clarella “Meshia” Thomas as the new campus Chief of Police effective immediately. Thomas brings to SSU a wealth of public safety knowledge and experience that spans 23 years. In appointing Thomas, SSU aims to strengthen its commitment to campus safety and public service to all members of the campus community, including more than 1,900 residential students. Most recently, Thomas served as chief of police and director of public safety at Wellesley College (Mass.) from 2021-2023 and Virginia Union University (Va.) from 2019-2021. Thomas’ public safety career began at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville in 2001 where she rose through the ranks to become patrol services lieutenant. Additionally, she served at the University of Chicago as captain of patrol services from 2013-2016 and at Vanderbilt University as captain of professional standards