Skip to main content

Life and Work with Grace Curry

Grace Curry is the director of WHCJ 90.3 FM

Life and Work with Grace Curry

Source: Life & Work with Grace Curry - Voyage Savannah Magazine

Today, we’d like to introduce you to Grace Curry.

Hi Grace, it’s an honor to have you on the platform. Thanks for sharing your story with us – to start, maybe you can share some of your backstory with our readers.
I have been in non-commercial, educational radio for nearly 20 years. I choose radio as a career because music has always been an integral part of my family’s life and, therefore, mine.

Radio provides so many great memories for me. One of my best memories was family get-togethers. There was always music playing and people dancing. Another thing I used to listen to was the radio to hear my favorite songs, record them, and create my show on my double cassette boombox.

Fundamentally, I have always been a very shy person. Radio has allowed me to come out of my shell and gain confidence. Additionally, radio has allowed me to help other people come out of their shell. I love music, and I love showcasing new artists.

We all face challenges, but would you describe it as a relatively smooth road?
I can honestly say that I have not had any major struggles to get where I am today. However, during the pandemic, a lot of adjustments were made.

From our university closing for a while to working a flexible schedule for everyone at the station wearing masks as they enter the building. Our studios consistently needed to be sanitized. Additionally, we had to adapt and conduct interviews completely via telephone.

Now, that is all behind me. Everything is normal for business, and I am grateful for it.

I can honestly say that I have not had any major struggles to get where I am today. However, during the pandemic, a lot of adjustments were made.

From our university closing for a while, to working a flexible schedule, and for everyone at the station wearing masks as they enter the building. Our studios consistently needed to be sanitized. Additionally, we had to adapt and conduct interviews completely via telephone.

Appreciate you sharing that. What else should we know about what you do?
I am the Director of Savannah State University’s campus radio station, WHCJ 90.3 FM. This is a facility that broadcasts 24 hours, seven days a week.

Therefore, I manage the day-to-day operations of my department, ensure that people are properly trained, and maintain Federal Communications Commission (FCC) rules and regulations. Furthermore, I am responsible for the planning, producing, scheduling, and recording of 168 hours of weekly broadcasts, ensuring quality programming, the department’s financial health, and safeguarding the station’s reputation in the community.

I am known for my radio show, the “Alternative Soul Café.” The Alternative Soul Café is a show that focuses on alternative soul music, spoken word, conscious, thought-provoking Hip-Hop, and Rock Soul.

What gives me so much pride is that I have been able to introduce my listeners to quality music and artists. Many times, I have been able to play artists on my show when they were just starting… before they hit the big time. One of those artists is Sara Bareilles.

Also, I am proud that in February 2021, I was recognized as one of Radio Ink’s “African American Future Radio Leaders” and was featured in their magazine. Additionally, I was featured as one of Georgia Trend Magazine’s Inaugural “Georgia 500 Most Influential Leaders” for Communications and Media in 2022.

What sets me apart from others is I communicate well. I am determined, patient, and professional when interacting with others. Furthermore, I wear many hats and am proficient in maintaining proper day-to-day operations. Most importantly, I practice appreciation, and I love what I do.

Is there any advice you’d like to share with our readers who might just be starting?
I would say be a decent human being. Work on your soft skills. Don’t be afraid to learn or ask questions.

Contact Info:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Commencement Live Feed

SSU's 204th  Commencement Ceremony WHAT: Savannah State University holds its 204th commencement ceremony. WHO: “Pinky” Cole Hayes, owner of the Atlanta-based Slutty Vegan Restaurant chain, will deliver the commencement address. WHEN: Friday, May 3, 2024 at 9 a.m. WHERE: T. A. Wright Stadium on the SSU campus, 3219 College Street, Savannah, Ga. 31404 Click HERE to Watch the Live Stream  

SSU Announces 40 Under 40 Awards

SSU Announces 40 Under 40 Awards Savannah State University (SSU) is proud to announce the launch of its inaugural 40 Under 40 Awards to recognize young alumni of the university who have made significant contributions to their profession and community. “Ideal candidates for the award should have achieved notable professional success, demonstrated exceptional leadership in their fields, made a positive impact in their communities and embodied the values and mission of Savannah State University,” said Cynthia Robinson Alexander, J.D., SSU Interim President. A nomination form is available HERE . The form requires the nominee's contact information, a brief description of their accomplishments, and an explanation of why they deserve to be recognized. The nomination deadline is August, 30, 2024. Only graduates of Savannah State University may submit a nomination. Only two nominations are allowed from each nominator. Self-nominations will not be accepted. All nominations will be reviewed b

Alumni Spotlight Wall: 28 Tigers Who Have Made and are Making History

During the month of February, each day, as we celebrate Black history, we will shine a light on Savannah State University's notable alumni who have made and are making history. Wesley McGriff, class of '90 Wesley McGriff, class of 1990, is the co-defensive coordinator/ secondary coach at the University of Louisville. A native of Tifton, Ga., Wesley McGriff, class of 1990, is the co-defensive coordinator/ secondary coach at the University of Louisville. McGriff played at South Carolina State for one year before transferring to Savannah State, where he started at outside linebacker for three seasons and was named the conference’s 1989 Male Academic Athlete of the Year. McGriff has been in the coaching ranks since 1990 when he was hired as a graduate assistant at Savannah State, where he coached for four years. Starting as a graduate assistant, McGriff tutored running backs before coaching the secondary in 1991-92 and then served as defensive coordinator in 1993-94. He was Savanna